Saturday, January 08, 2005

Blogs and relationships

I am interested in discovering how blogs change the way people relate to each other. It feels strange to direct my thoughts to 'the world out there' rather than to a specific individual or group. I am slightly uncomfortable with the idea of relating to people through a computer screen - without knowing your names or faces, without knowing anything about you, really.

Are friendships that develop via this means of interacting different to other friendships? Is it easier to be vulnerable given the anonymity of a blog or comment? Is it harder to feel like you really know someone because of the selectivity, lack of immediacy, lack of specificity?

I guess I'm afraid that, unless I meet with people 'in the flesh', I won't be Christ to them and they won't be Christ to me. After all, the Incarnation was about God becoming flesh in all its messy glory, not becoming words on a screen (we had that already, more or less).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home